Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Ford 9 Inch Axle Rattle

If you use your vehicle at least moderately hard, like I do, you may run into this problem some day. My rear axle developed a rattle noise this weekend after my Day 2 Basic Class - Extension.

For those of you who don't know, I drive a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The stock axle was a Dana 35 (with "c" clip axles - that is another story). I found the Dana 35 axle tubes are not strong enough for rigorous off-road activity and bend. Combine a bent tube with after market lockers and I can almost guarantee that you will snap an axle. Hence, I upgraded to a version of the Ford 9 inch axle sold by Currie Enterprise, in Orange County CA. This is a very strong axle and I have had no problems with it until...

The rattle was caused by a round dust plate just behind the yoke on the rear of the drive shaft where it joins the pinion bearing. This is press fit on the yoke by the factory and my abuse had pulled it loose. Here is the message of this post: it is important that you do not just cut it off to eliminate the noise. It serves a valuable function of keeping sticks, rocks and other junk from piercing the pinion seal. You can put up with the rattle or have someone spot weld it to the rear of the yoke. BTW most every other rear axle has this dust plate and you need to retain it for worry free off-roading.

If you get into Off-Road adventures, it is well worth taking an interest in how things work on your vehicle and to acquire diagnostic and repair skills. My solution to find the rattle was to place all four wheels on jack stands so I could examine the vehicle while it was running and in gear. I tried step 1) of a visual inspection with pulling and pushing on suspension components and step 2)of having a friend slowly drive forward while I walked beside and listened & watched with no success.

Add this little bit of knowledge to you tool kit.

Drive the Adventure!
Tom
www.4x4training.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home